Sunday, April 5, 2015

Week 12: Final Thoughts

     And now... we're here.
     Overall, I really did enjoy the course.  Like I've said before, the pacing, what we studied, the wonderful people I've worked with... CSC148 was much more enjoyable for me than many of my other courses.  It was fascinating and challenged me but it wasn't to the point where I was totally lost.      I'd very much like to thank Danny and Diane for all of their hard work, patience, and understanding.  Seriously, they held loads more office hours than usual, especially during the strike, and were extremely helpful.  I didn't feel intimidated going up to them and asking for help, especially since they were so kind about it.
     The labs were... admittedly, I sort of wish I just went for the quiz.  I usually did the labs ahead of time on my own laptop, meaning that I sat in the room for about 2 hours doing other work, gaming, or nothing.  However, as time went on, I really did need labs so that I could actually ask questions (which was a bit hard without TAs, but I managed) and I'm glad we were given that time.
     I've learned so much from this course, even if it went by quickly.  Recursion was fun to work with, even if I wasn't the greatest at it.  Trees were fun, and the assignments weren't too frustratingly hard.  (Though I'll admit, minimax was... tough.  And I think my partners and I all went crazy.)  The term tests, I believe, were decently fair (except in terms of time, but I guess I can't help that).  Overall, CSC148 was a great course, and I really did enjoy it.
     I'll admit, though, writing SLOGs was a bit annoying.  I suggest actually having students write SLOGs in tutorials (as in, make it a part of labs) so that not only do we have impressions right off the bat, but we also don't just forget it.  This semester was busy and SLOGs completely slipped my mind until this last week.  Hopefully this isn't too late, even if this is last minute.
     Lastly, I'd like to make a shout out to two of the greatest friends I have ever made, Sophie and Justin.  Whether we were getting KFC, procrastinating by deciding which Disney character we were, texting each other lyrics to wake someone up, or just getting frustrated over our programs, we always stuck together, from CSC165 last semester to CSC148 this semester.  It's been grand working with them, and I hope to work with them next year, too.  CompSci has been quite the adventure thus far here at UofT, but I've enjoyed it greatly.
     And thus concludes the awkwardly sentimental SLOG.

Best Wishes,
Dominique

3 comments:

  1. Interesting point about SLOGs! You inspired part of my Week 11 SLOG, so thanks for that.
    Next time I expect you to actually sing the songs on voicemail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm glad!
      And... we'll see about that. xD

      Delete
  2. Aww :) You warm my heart sweetheart. <3
    I like the point you made about the labs; I actually rarely did the labs the night before and usually did them entirely in class. In the beginning bits there was definitely more sitting than coding, but in the later labs I felt that my TA helped quite a bit, they helped me thoroughly understand the base case than recurse method that I'd continually reinforced on my SLOG.

    ReplyDelete