Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week 5... *insert clever title here*

     This past week included our first term test and a huge lesson on proofs.
     I'll start with the term test, which I honestly thought was much easier than what I was expecting.  I was surprised because I'm sure I got most of it (though, just watch me not do so well).  I had a really detailed aid sheet that I ended up barely using.  I'm sure, though, that copying everything down onto the aid sheet helped me on the test.  Overall, I think I did fine, and I don't have to worry about too much.
     The lesson however, I'm not so comfortable with.  I'm not all the best with proofs, though I think I've got the structure down.  While I understand the logic, getting the work done myself is going to be quite hard to learn.  I think it all comes down to practicing it, as doing it by myself without notes is a long way away at this point.  I'm looking for ways to do proofs easily; MAT137 provides some insight, but they're different in how CSC165 deals with variables moreso than MAT137 (in my opinion).  They're also taught in different ways, so I think there's some confusion that results from that.
     Overall, though, I think things are going well and I'm mostly keeping on top of things.  I'm not exactly sure how to write a problem-solving Polya slog, but I'll get to work on that soon.  I've mostly just been looking up things online about how to more easily write proofs and how to think about whether I should be using the contrapositive/contradiction rather than the original statement.  Hopefully that suffices.

Best Wishes,
Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment