Saturday, September 27, 2014

Oh gosh, it's Week 3

     This week has been a rather interesting week in terms of CSC165 and logic.

     Once again, I must reiterate that I'm not very good with logic, but that I am getting much better.  For example, I'm really starting to get the hang of negating things.  This week's lesson on negating from the outside in was great, actually--I always did it piece by piece instead of negating the whole thing and simplifying it, if that makes sense.  While I can negate English without using "not" and such, symbols are very different for me.

     Truth tables are also pretty interesting.  While the concept is simple, it can be very useful in determining results and satisfiability.  (By the way, for "It's a boy and it's not a boy," that statement can be true, as gender is fluid.  Yay!)  Indeed, adding the many laws/properties of math in logical statements makes things a bit harder.  I understand we mustn't simply memorize, but rather, know how to apply them, but it does take time.  Continuing on, however, I am slowly learning how to apply and correctly state mathematical statements with quantifiers.

     As I am taking MAT137 at the same time, the two classes really compliment each other and it's been very useful to have this type of logic pounded into my head.  With only one of the classes, I highly doubt I would truly understand much; researching online and doing practice problems is helping a lot, too.  The tutorial session has also been pretty great, as it's helped me actually understand what we are doing.  At times, I feel frustrated that I can't keep up, but the tutorials help so much.  Being able to ask questions and hear what's going on explained in great detail helps me learn.

     I believe that's it for this week--if there's anything I can improve on in these SLOGs, please tell me.  Thank you!

Best wishes,
Dominique

1 comment:

  1. " By the way, for "It's a boy and it's not a boy," that statement can be true, as gender is fluid. Yay!"

    You got a smile out of me with this one, Dominique :)
    I'm 100% with you! Mad respect for bringing it up.

    ReplyDelete